Steppin’ On Up

Friday was step up day.  Simply put, it was AMAZING!  I’ve had the pleasure of working with many Colchester children over the past two years, but they were somebody else’s students working in somebody else’s room.  I loved meeting MY new students in MY new room.  I can’t wait for August 28th!

The purpose of step up day is to meet your teacher and get to know each other. I decided to use the iPads to make Avatars during our short time together. Avatars are not only important for internet safety, but are also a great way to learn about each other.  Next year’s Techkids (our nickname) were asked to create an avatar representing themselves.  We shared our avatars and learned about each other’s hobbies, interests and passions.

We practiced emailing our avatars with our Colchester School District Google accounts.  I was impressed with how savvy and capable 5th graders!

What can you learn about us from our avatars?

2 thoughts on “Steppin’ On Up

1. I love the idea of using avatars for Step Up (we call it Move Up day)! They did a great job! I notice pets, interests on their shirts! It looks like you have a class with a lot of personality and self awareness! Awesome! Could you tell me what iPad app you used? (and if you have any other avatar with non logins for google chrome books that you might recommend?)! I think this may also be a great back to school activity!

2. Hi Darcie! It was a complete success. They were engaged, and we learned a lot about each other in a short amount of time. We used the WeeMee app. Check out my page “Choose Your Avatar” page (left sidebar). I haven’t tried any of them on a Chromebook, but none of them need to be downloaded, so they should work. Kids love the Lego avatar maker and the Build Yourself Wild the best. Let me know how it goes.